Topic: Gary Moore on Bonamassa

Just got my copy of Guitarist Magazine, Gary Moore was on the cover and it had an interview with him about his latest album. At one point Gary is asked about what he thinks about joe, he answers:

' I think everyone latched on to him a bit too much and they've put a lot of pressure on him. You can't be a blues legend at that age for a start, and I think the lad's getting a bit overblown. I've spoken to him about it and told him off for playing too many styles. You know, if you want to be a blues artist, be a blues artist, stop playing Yes songs and Indian songs, and doing a bit of Derek Trucks and a bit of me. he has a lot of influences but I think he's still got to find his own voice really. I think he has to focus on one thing, but I don't want to be derogatory. He's a really great guy and he is going to be really, really good.'

I like Gary Moore and his playing but....

2 (edited by Ges 2009-01-01 10:34:45)

Re: Gary Moore on Bonamassa

I saw this as well a few days ago but decided not to post about it as it could easily get blown out of proportion I thought.

I've always thought of Gary being a genuine, honest decent sort of bloke and was a little surprised to read him say Joe was getting overblown. Maybe it was out of context in the printed page. Did he mean Joe personally or did he mean the media is overblowing Joe ?? Whatever, he's entitled to his opinion of course.

I'm not of the camp that says you have to have suffered to play great blues......or any music.
I think Joe is doing just fine !!

I've been a big fan of Gary Moore but haven't bought his latest as I was getting fed up of his singing. Anyone bought it ?

BTW, the same issue has the Joe Les Paul review.
I think they liked it smile

I read the article too and I was a little cheesed off by Mr Moore's remarks. Joe never claims to be in the blues business but the entertainment business.
He also said that when Joe plays the blues it's still in a formative way and that he'll be really good in a few years time!!! I can't believe he could say that. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but it's a bit rich coming from a guy who spent most of his life playing rock. My husband says that even when he (Gary) plays the blues it's still rock.
Now I like Gary Moore and it's possible that the person who wrote the article may have misrepresented GM's words but if you ask me, I think he sounds a little jealous of all the attention Joe's getting.

Ges,I bought Gary's last album which I do mostly like,but  I know what you mean about his voice.

Tripsy smile

Personally, I like Joe's (somewhat) eclectic style. Sprinkling in a bit of Yes or "Indian songs" adds a little spice to the live shows.
I mean, come on...who doesn't think the India intro to Mountain Time is brilliant.
I think Tripsy said it all...Joe says he is in the entertainment business, and that's what he does.
I wouldn't get too upset with Mr. Moore though. It appears that he realized he was being negative and ended by saying he didn't want to be derogatory and that he thought Joe was a great guy, etc.
Again, everyone's entitled to an opinion.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

It is a bit much coming from Moore, is he a blues legend himself? Where I come from, he's hardly popular at all. I mean, i only know him from his stuff with Thin Lizzy (one of my fave bands), so as long as he's classed a blues legend, i guess he has the right to judge others, but if not, thats a bit much! Im a huge fan of Joe, and when i first heard of him, i have to admit, he did remind me of a young Gary Moore (dont ask me why, maybe as they are both blues players, who play fast and sing, but then doesnt that make Gary a shredder too? after all, hes played some solos and songs in his career which are nothing like blues and jazz!). Maybe Gary's scared that Joe might take over him? Theres a strong chance he might!
I just liked his playing all this time, (never liked his voice), and i just think that in this day and age, its REALLY hard to reach out to every audience, thats how sales increase, Joe might have tried this, and its worked so far, and what with some guitarists wanting to be the BEST, they can take it a little too far...
Im not sure, I would say that Gary Moore is absolutely incorrect, i totally disafree with him, Joe can do whatever he wants! I mean, what he does now, thats what got us into him. Right? Right?
This isnt good for Moore's reputation.
Joes taking his career to new heights, i think TBOJH is a lot heavier and will bring in all new audiences with its release, this is an intelligent move for Joe, im happy with what he's doing, and i cant wait to see him in May.
(Happy new year every one!)

Rus

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

Bill S wrote:

Personally, I like Joe's (somewhat) eclectic style. Sprinkling in a bit of Yes or "Indian songs" adds a little spice to the live shows.
I mean, come on...who doesn't think the India intro to Mountain Time is brilliant.
I think Tripsy said it all...Joe says he is in the entertainment business, and that's what he does.
I wouldn't get too upset with Mr. Moore though. It appears that he realized he was being negative and ended by saying he didn't want to be derogatory and that he thought Joe was a great guy, etc.
Again, everyone's entitled to an opinion.

If he wouldnt have said Joe was a great guy, that would have been wrong, he HAD to say something positive about Joe, otherwise thats a HUGE put down. Joe deserves every bit of credit for his career. (Ask BB King who he prefers!)

Rus

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

Well all I can say is, I  have bought every CD and dvd that JB has put out. I haven't done so with Gary Moore.

8 (edited by Lynnl 2009-01-01 12:22:57)

I think to anyone objectively looking at this, they would see Gary's comments as well meaning. The reference to overblown is clearly a reference to the "everyone" and the people that have"put a lot of pressure on him", rather than a suggestion that Joe himself has overblown himself.

What Gary appears to be referring to is that there is a lack of blues legends, due to the passing of most of the founding fathers, therefore Joe is being heralded as a blues legend before his time. I can understand that sentiment. 

Gary manybe also feels the Indan stuff and Yes tracks (the latter of which I can also do without) and perhaps not suitable for Joe. That's his personal opinion, whether he needed to voice it or not, I'm not so sure, remember this is a man who chooses not to play some of his less blues based material.  Gary bclearly likes Joe and as we know they have been photographed together. Lets refrain from writing personal insults about Gary Moore on here, he was asked a question and was entitled to give his view.

PS Joe's not claiming to be in the blues business now, but I belive he has said otherwise in the past.

Pieter-Jan wrote:

I've spoken to him about it and told him off for playing too many styles. You know, if you want to be a blues artist, be a blues artist, stop playing Yes songs and Indian songs, and doing a bit of Derek Trucks and a bit of me. he has a lot of influences but I think he's still got to find his own voice really.

This coming from Gary Moore is a bit much...not many have jumped around genres as much as Mr Moore has throughout his career. He's the one who should be taking career advice from Joe, and not the other way around.

Joe has said many times that he's in the entertainment business. He gets paid to entertain the people who come to his show, and there's very few out there who can touch him (certainly not GM). A big part of that entertainment is watching a brilliant guitarist express himself on his guitar (in any style he chooses).

Joe has very good instincts and his career reflects it.

I don't agree with a couple things Gary said there, but overall I don't view it as derogatory. Just a different perspective.

One of the reasons I'm such a huge fan of Joe's is BECAUSE he wears his influences on his sleeve. I just don't believe in the notion that Joe should focus on one thing. Why limit yourself? Seems like a road to stagnation if you ask me.

As far as getting overblown, I just don't see it, at least not here in the U.S. If anything he's underappreciated.

My take on it is that Gary is just offering Joe some advice. Jealousy? Maybe a bit but Joe has been putting in the effort to expand his fan base.
He spends a significant amount of time touring in Europe as well as the US, and it looks like he will play some dates in Japan in 2009.
To my knowledge Gary hasn't played in North America in the last 20 years.

Gary has had his excursions into various genres (rock, metal, jazz fusion) and has found his niche in blues rock.
Joe is still experimenting, trying to find his own sound; pushing his limits so to speak.
I don't think he wants to be pigeon holed into a particular style.

I enjoy listening to both. They are just at different points in their careers.

Major Tom to ground control...

I own nothing by Gary Moore due to the fact he never impressed me that much, but Joe on the other hand.

Doin' Fine in '09,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Sometimes it's good to dedicate your style or playing entairly to blues and sometimes on the other hand it's good to be a innovator of things.

Joe does what he like in the "original way" but adds his thing into the blues like he want to see it or hear it.

If you stick traditional your going to be more traditional and sometimes people's ears like some innovation in it.

Hendrix did it, page did it and clapton did it to name a few.

I never said they had to do it different :-)

Go and do your own thing, don't let the media get to much in your mind and especially not in your hart.

I like Gary Moore a lott and i like what he does (beside "a different beat", maybe some day) and he plays on safe and theres nothing wrong whit it because it's good music.

If Joe want's to play an indian song he should and i like it a lot (could have been bad but it isn't)

Derek Trucks is an innovator for me too.

My 2cent

Wow, I was really surprised to hear that from Gary.
I've been a fan of his(Gary) for quite awhile but haven't listened to much of his material in the last couple of years because I find his style to be a bit repititious and haven't heard much in the way of spreading out.
In effect what Gary is saying is that Joe should limit himself to one style of playing and be contenet with that.
I don't know why anyone would think like that, especially someone with Moore's background and experiance.
One thing that really gets me about Joe's playing is that he'll start something one way and then suddenly go off on another tangent and it's only limited by his imagination.
I don't know or care if there's different styles going on because my ears tell me what I'm hearing is exciting and constanly changing, a very good thing in the music world.
It was Joe's playing that made me put down my strat after twenty years and expand to look for a good LP(found an amazing one).
He's still a young player and is still evolving. That being said I hope he never paints himself into a corner with just one style. I think that would be a waste of incredible talent.

I also don't think Gary should be blamed for saying what he thinks. I just don't think he's right.
When JB picks up a guitar he's a whilrwind and watching his concert is like going on a crazy ride and hoping it doen't end for quite awhile.

I own three CD's and one DVD. The only CD that ever gets played and loaded in Itunes is Blues For Greeny. I would like to see him live someday. He ever played the Roayal Albert Hall?

For whatever reason Gary just never quite caught on over here. I have my opinions on that and it probably stems from the fact he didn't tour over here. So Gary Moore possibly dissing Joe doesn't amount to much in our gossip circles. In Europe it might be more meaningful.

Having not read the article it might be a case of him not appreciating being asked about Joe during his interview. Only goes to show Joe is on the minds of many there.

I do think it doesn't bode well for him to say something less than complimatary about Joe. It does tend to sound  a bit like artist envy. He is entitled to his opinion and he apparently shared it with Joe during their meeting. So I don't think it is all that controversial.

Joe does take to heart advice given by artistis he admires and I'm sure if Gary gave him advice he listened. Whether he agreed with it might be another story.

I own 7 of Gary's CDs and 2 of his DVDs.  The most recent thing of his I own is from 2001.  When I 1st got into Gary's blues music in 1990, I wanted to ask Joe if he knew about him because I thought Gary's take on the blues would have worked great for Joe.  I never did ask Joe because I've always wanted to stay out of his business and just be a fan.  Joe's style has evolved into his OWN style (regardless of what Gary thinks), which I am grateful for.  Personally, I don't care whether Joe sticks with the blues or not.  Wherever he goes ~ I will follow.  As much as I loved Gary's music over the years, I don't find myself drawn to it very much anymore.  It's great music (most of it anyways), but I think he needs to branch out a bit moore.  Joe's music, on the other hand, still excites me and is constantly on my playlists.

Sorry Gary, but it's you who should be listening to Joe's advice.  Not the other way around.

L8r... John

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

Gary talked to me about all that before.. I really respect his opinion but in this case I dont agree with him.. I am not on a blues pilgrimage.  I get bored with just playing blues.. I love it but I get bored.. ADD kicks in and Im off to the next. Its not my fault Mom never gave me Ritalin or Strattera when I was a kid.. ( Joking of course) I like the big rock show, I like the blues, I like Indian music and I like Yes..  So I choose to play it. Thats the beauty of being a solo artist.. I can do whatever I want.  I dont take his comments personally or nor do I think they were meant to dis me in anyway.  I am guilty of the "pontification" moment in interviews just as much as the next guy.  Gary has been around and has a lot of success.  He has earned the right to give this 31 year old punk kid some advice now and then.  Whether I use it or not is another question.. I am in the entertainment business not the blues business or the guitar business. As long as the fans are entertained Im happy.. Thats my story and Im sticking to it..  I also want to add that Gary is a super nice guy and I am proud to call him my friend..
Joe Bonamassa

I think part of what draws me to Joe is how he incorporates his loves and influences into his music.  For me it makes the music real.  I love artists who are not afraid to be what they want to be and not worry about sticking to whatever genre people think they are (or should be).  To me Joe's genre is Joe.  It incorporates ideas from different styles, cultures and generations.  Like Jimi Hendrix before him, Joe embraces what he loves and likes to showcase it to his fans.  Anyone who takes a spin through the discography knows that the Joe genre is never boring!

Gary is right in that if you want to be accepted as a blues artist, you need to be about the blues and not branch out too far.  I think that is a sad fact, but a fact none-the-less to the blues purists.  I'm glad Joe can champion and play the blues without solely defining himself as a blues artist.  In my eyes, Joes music is about as honest as any artist can get.  I'm proud to be an avid Joe Bonamassa fan.

I'm also a Gary Moore fan and will probably always be.  He's demonstrated mastery of many different genres over the decades and chooses to be known as a blues artist.  It's hard to say if he will ultimately be remembered as a blues artist.  As he himself knows, he played too many things over the years to ever be accepted by blues purists.  Too bad for them I think.  Gary is a great rock artist, and a blues artist.  They don't have to be mutually exclusive in my eyes and I suspect many others here at JB.com.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster