Topic: Happy Birthday Rory!

I share my birthday with Rory Gallagher and I've been having a little nip of Jameson's each year to toast the man.
Another of my heroes gone before his time. I'll be playing some of his music this evening.

Also today marks one year after the passing of Jeff Healey.  His name probably won't ever be listed among the greats, but the man could play guitar!

Anyways, my weekend couldn't have been better. Back to back Joe shows in Buffalo and Syracuse (thanks again Spider!)
and meeting Joe on Saturday after that gig and having him autograph my Rick. Double Nickels for me. It's getting to the point where that many candles on a cake constitutes a fire hazard... lol

Major Tom to ground control...

2 (edited by Greenose 2009-03-02 16:49:38)

Re: Happy Birthday Rory!

Rory was certainly one of the best musicians of the late 20th century. Naturally he is remembered for his blistering blues rock which influenced many, such as Joe, Davy Knowles, Aynsely Lister, Julian Sas, Gwyn Ashton and more, but there was such much more to his music, jazz influenced tracks, acoustic folk, and some wonderful ballads too.
I was asked to make up a compilation for someone of his more mellow tracks and there is such a great quality to tracks such as Calling Card and A Million Miles Away.  Another favourite is I Should have Had Religion from Live In Europe, Rory plays this song with slide guitar, harmonica and superb vocals too, at the same time! RIP Rory and RIP Jeff too, who also recorded some great material.
You've had a great weekend, but have a great birthday too and enjoy that Jamesons! smile

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Saw him live up close and personal twice. There was no one like him before or since. Anyone who even has a slight hint of Rory in them is a better musician for it.

Happy Birthday Rory and RIP.

Roy

Joe is the Best!

BluesMan wrote:

Saw him live up close and personal twice. There was no one like him before or since.

Ditto, Roy. Definitely jaw dropping performances each time. smile
His work rate was always phenomenal and his playing electric.

RIP, Rory.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

What a reminder of how quickly life can change. More reason to count our blessing every time we get to see one of our favorite Artists live. I prefer to celebrate Birthdays over death days, so thanks for the happy thoughts!!! Glad to hear you gave yourself the gift of music...nothing better!!! "Party on Garth"..     Cathy

6 (edited by BluesMan 2009-03-02 23:34:47)

Wooders wrote:
BluesMan wrote:

Saw him live up close and personal twice. There was no one like him before or since.

Ditto, Roy. Definitely jaw dropping performances each time. smile
His work rate was always phenomenal and his playing electric.

RIP, Rory.

Phil

Yes Phil,

His love of music and the audiences that he entertained night after night. The sheer excitement and exhileration shown by him was contagious. Sitting on the floor of a basement club packed in like sardines and having Rory stand just a few feet in front of us along with his phenomenal bass player Gerry McAvoy, was almost too much to comprehend at the time. He truly shared a part of himself each and every time he played. That's something I'll never forget! smile

Roy

Joe is the Best!

Just a reminder, or head's up to those in the U.S. that the DVD 'Live In Cork' is finally getting a release Stateside, appropriately on St. Patrick's Day, March 17th through Eagle Vision.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Cork-Rory-Ga … amp;sr=1-7

Just in time for St. Patrick's Day, Eagle Rock Entertainment is releasing 'Rory Gallagher: Live In Cork,' a DVD that captures the guitar virtuoso in a special concert. The DVD will be released on March 17th.

Live In Cork is a documentation of Gallagher’s homecoming, when he returned to Ireland in 1987 to play the Cork Opera House after several years’ absence. Originally aired on Irish TV, Gallagher shook the house to it's foundations with tracks like 'Tattoo’d Lady', 'Follow Me', 'When My Baby She Left Me', and 'Out On The Western Plain'.

The DVD is more than a mere concert. The live portion (originally released as Messin’ With The Kid – Live At The Cork Opera House on VHS) is only the tip of the iceberg. Live in Cork also allows an in-depth look at Rory and the city that bred him. “Rough Guide To Rory’s Cork” is a compilation of photos, anecdotes, memorabilia, and other footage from his hometown. Clearly, this excavation of the great guitarist’s life and culture is an absolute treasure for a Rory Gallagher fan.

This special set is just the latest Gallagher offering from Eagle Rock. Previous titles include the Live at Montreux CD (July 2006), The Definitive Montreux Collection 2DVD set (May 2006), and the Live at Rockpalast 3DVD set (August 2007).

Tracklisting: 'Continental Op', 'Tattoo’d Lady', 'Don’t Start Me Talkin’', 'I Ain’t No Saint', 'Follow Me', 'When My Baby She Left Me', 'Off The Handle', 'Out On The Western Plain', 'Wanted Blues', 'The Loop', 'Shadow Play', 'Messin’ With The Kid', 'Loanshark Blues'.

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

Thanks Keith for the heads-up.  I don't have nearly enough of his music and the DVD will be a great introduction to his legend.