Topic: Overdrive/boost pedals question

I've been reading the forum trying to find out how Joe and others get that nice creamy overdriven sound. It sounds like Joe doesn't really like using any kind of overdrive pedal and cranks the amp for that sweet tone. However, I don't really have the chance to ever open up my amp to that "sweet" spot playing most of the clubs we're at, I'd kill the crowd! I play a Bassman or a Mod HRD 1 x 12 w/ a American Strat or Thinline Tele. I've tried cranking the amp and actually putting a shield to block some of the volume but it adds a lot of mushiness. I'm now thinking about trying either the Fulltone 69 or GT-500, but it sounds like those pedals really won't help me since I can't crank the amp in the first place. I have a TS9 but it just rips the lows out of my sound and compresses the sound and I can't really get the same dynamic punch out of my pickups. I've heard some good things about the Keeley BD-2 which I would imagine I could get an overdriven sound at lower volumes. Or do I go with a power brake?

How do people get that creamy natural overdriven sound at smaller clubs without ticking off the the employee's and not getting invited back!? Any suggestions would be great. There's gotta be others out there doing the "Tavern Tour!"

Re: Overdrive/boost pedals question

hoodoo wrote:

I've been reading the forum trying to find out how Joe and others get that nice creamy overdriven sound. It sounds like Joe doesn't really like using any kind of overdrive pedal and cranks the amp for that sweet tone. However, I don't really have the chance to ever open up my amp to that "sweet" spot playing most of the clubs we're at, I'd kill the crowd! I play a Bassman or a Mod HRD 1 x 12 w/ a American Strat or Thinline Tele. I've tried cranking the amp and actually putting a shield to block some of the volume but it adds a lot of mushiness. I'm now thinking about trying either the Fulltone 69 or GT-500, but it sounds like those pedals really won't help me since I can't crank the amp in the first place. I have a TS9 but it just rips the lows out of my sound and compresses the sound and I can't really get the same dynamic punch out of my pickups. I've heard some good things about the Keeley BD-2 which I would imagine I could get an overdriven sound at lower volumes. Or do I go with a power brake?

How do people get that creamy natural overdriven sound at smaller clubs without ticking off the the employee's and not getting invited back!? Any suggestions would be great. There's gotta be others out there doing the "Tavern Tour!"

First post?  welcome....

This is already a topic. Do some homework and you can find what you need:
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4189

Searching the forum works too...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Thanks for the suggestions. I had read that post you mentioned, which is where i heard about Joe mostly cranking his amp for the sweet tone. I wish I could do that. The Carl Martin pedal is something i'm going to check into along with the Keeley BD-2. ust curious if Joe or anyone else had a pref. or had tried both.

Didn't see the search tool at first, but I found a good thread where Joe recommended using a power soak and getting the amp hot for that sweet tone. I've never experimented with that, but I'll be trying it out!

thanks again

hoodoo wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I had read that post you mentioned, which is where i heard about Joe mostly cranking his amp for the sweet tone. I wish I could do that. The Carl Martin pedal is something i'm going to check into along with the Keeley BD-2. ust curious if Joe or anyone else had a pref. or had tried both.

Didn't see the search tool at first, but I found a good thread where Joe recommended using a power soak and getting the amp hot for that sweet tone. I've never experimented with that, but I'll be trying it out!

thanks again

Yeah the power soak would definetly be the best option for you- THD has a good one called the hot plate- you should check it out.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/hotplate.htm

that'd probably do the trick.

Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Also if you get a chance give the Fulltone FullDrive 2 a test.  It does that thick sustained distortion really well.  I as well have a Bassman and switch between the Fulltone for lead tones and a TS-9 Tubescreamer for dirty rhythm sounds.  I feel like the Fulltone really provides a full and smooth distortion sound.  Give it a try if you get a chance.

Keeley does a really nice DS-1 mod. I have one and it delivers a little more of a Marshall plexi sound than the BD-2 which I tried, but thought it was a little thin.

Blessings,
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

Hoodoo - I'd be willing to help any way I can.
How big of a fan are you? I might be able to send you some live shows after the new year.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Two pedals you need to try.

Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Fulldrive 2.

I play thru fenders and vox and I am in love with the tone I am getting out of these pedals.

I want a 69 eventally but I havent got there yet.

Try these pedals. I bought them without trying them and have yet to be disappointed.

I don't even have a TS9. I have the TS7 Tubescreamer. I love it.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Hey guys.. for your situation Id use a THD hot plate for your Bassman and  some sort of Clean Boost.  There are alot of pedals with a single knob that keep the bottom but boost the gain.  MXR(Custom Audio Electronics ) model is cool.  Carl Martin ect..  You need to saturate the amp first..  Try to get used to a shield.  Clear sonic makes a good one for a combo.. Jim Moody makes the ones Carmine and  I use..  They have a custom spec for the extra tall cabs. Its not classified but its a very particular measurement.  Just ask Jim he knows. 
The shield is the only way to eliminate the death ray.  But try the hot Plate and boost first and see how it goes.  Also try to turn the amp around backward.  Its a old Tom Dowd trick for getting the roundness out of a combo amp..  Tom knew guitar sound and really got me on the path Im on now.. 
good luck
Joe B

I should actually explain my home practice low volume rig..  I live in LA at a condo complex.  Very Hollywood types live here.. They have no interest in hearing the bluesboy crank up the jams late at night so I devised a rig for my house ..
1.  1987 Marshall Silver series Marshall 50 watt 1X12 combo..
2  1965 Fender Princeton Reverb or a 1957 Fender Vibrolux with a Kendrick reverb unit
3 THD Hot Plate ( for Princeton Only)
4 paired down pedal board (spare)
   AB/Both switch, Vox Wah , TS 808 RI , Fuchs Audio prototype "Creme " pedal and A boss DD-3 delay.
I get a pretty good approximation of my big rig at TV volume.. You know  watching a Law and Order Marathon and playing guitar at the same time  kinda thing. Can hear the TV and guitar at the same time.. No Broom sticks from below..( been there done that). 
Anyway.. There is always another way to get your tone..
joe bonamassa

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I should actually explain my home practice low volume rig..  I live in LA at a condo complex.  Very Hollywood types live here.. They have no interest in hearing the bluesboy crank up the jams late at night so I devised a rig for my house ..
2  1965 Fender Princeton Reverb or a 1957 Fender Vibrolux with a Kendrick reverb unit
   AB/Both switch, Vox Wah , TS 808 RI , Fuchs Audio prototype "Creme " pedal and A boss DD-3 delay.
I get a pretty good approximation of my big rig at TV volume.. You know  watching a Law and Order Marathon and playing guitar at the same time  kinda thing. Can hear the TV and guitar at the same time.. No Broom sticks from below..( been there done that). 
joe bonamassa

Not much happening for me on New Years, but I can now go to bed with a smile on my face and a chuckle in my heart, thinking about people poking broomsticks at Joe from below. lol
                                                                         pattyluvsjoe

P.S.  Sorry for invading the gear stuff, but the image of it all has totally struck my funnybone.  Thanks for the visual Joe wink

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Yeah Patty, Id be saying "Hey, Joe, turn it up man....I can't hear it" big_smile

pattyluvsjoe wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

joe bonamassa

Not much happening for me on New Years, but I can now go to bed with a smile on my face and a chuckle in my heart, thinking about people poking broomsticks at Joe from below. lol
                                                                         pattyluvsjoe

P.S.  Sorry for invading the gear stuff, but the image of it all has totally struck my funnybone.  Thanks for the visual Joe wink

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Very Hollywood types?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa! I just read this.  Check out what I posted earlier today.  http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtop … 94&p=2  #29

If you can play quietly AND get the feeling AND get the tone, you've done some homework.

Hollywood Beast...types?  You are being kind, Joe.   HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Sorry...back to the topic...wink.

Jeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Thanks Joe and guys! I've had quite a few gigs under my belt since trying a few things you suggested and i'm going back to the basics. I've played a few clubs that I could just crank it with a shield (using the HRD) with a Keeley TS9 and a DD3 and it's been killin'. That HRD can actually sing when cranked!

I ended up changing out the stock speaker in the HRD for the EVM12L(it was suggested in another thread) it got rid of all the mushiness when cranked, also much more of a "vocal sound". I also got some "beam blockers" which took out a lot of that harsh fender ice pick sound when cranked. I haven't tried the THD Hot Plate, need the moola first. I've decided to stay with the TS9 and DD3(didn't like the Keeley BD2, not smoove enough), if Joe says all I need is a TS9 and DD3, i'm gonna make it work! I still go back and forth between trying the Fulltone pedals, everyone seems to love em....maybe I should try em instead of the TS9? I guess that's what MF is for, try and return it;)

I also want to get that MXR clean boost, i played the none modded verison and it was very cool. Glad to hear you like it to Joe.

Oh, I also tried the turn the amp backwards thing, that was hee-larious! It was nice to get back  at my drummer for all those crash fills he likes to do. You know the drummer gets excited-lets drown the rest of the band out with my John Bonham fills! Yeeahhh!

thanks again

hoodoo, personally I wouldn't suggest using a Fulltone instead of a TS-9, because to me anyway they are different sounding overdrives.  What I have done is to use a TS-9 with the drive about 1 oclock as my sound for more rhythmic and chord parts, and then switch to the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 with the distortion up on the vintage setting for solos.  The fulltone has compression within it and it really sounds smooth for leads.  Not trying to force my setup on your or anything, just saying if you get a chance try one of those out, I think youll dig it.

Hey - my first post - I stumbled upon this discussion from Google and I had to add my 2 cents. There has been some really good advice so far, but I must say that every overdrive pedal I have used significantly alters your tone. Don't get me wrong, they can sound really good (of which the Fulldrive and Keeley pedals mentioned are excellent) but they are not your amp's tone.

If you are looking to play your amp more than a pedal, you are left with attenuation. I know the THD and other power soaks have been mentioned, but I don't think any one has talked about a more natural sounding and, in my opinion, better method of attenuation. Instead of resisting the load from the power amp, there are attenuators that use a dummy load from an actual speaker motor to provide a reactive load like your power amp wants to see. This yields a safer more pleasing attenuation and costs a lot less too (sometimes). I believe the Bad Cat and Koch attenuators works on this principle, but I use Ted Weber's   ---    http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

The price depends on the wattage you are looking for, (double your amps wattage to be safe - you are selecting the wattage of the speaker not your amp) but you can get one for 75 - 150 and they sound great and give some EQ control.

Other than that, I know the Fulltone GT-500 was mentioned at the outset, then dismissed because the poster felt they must crank it to use it. Thats not the case! That pedal can boost the snot out of your front end, but you can also run them at unity gain and crank the OD or Distortion and get the most amp like clipping you will probably ever hear from a pedal. Very harmonic, musical and colorless. It sounds exactly like your amp. The GT excels at clipping and harmonics and doesn't compress much. So you may want to run that with a good compressor (after the GT if the compressor is quiet enough) and you are in power tube land.

However, one last word of advice. Great OD / Distorted tones are usually a mix of both preamp and power amp distortion. So to get the creaminess you seek, power amp saturation alone isn't the end all, but it is likely your missing ingredient.

Hey Guys, another attenuator that I haven't heard anybody talk about is the Ultimate Attenuator (just google it).  I know Doyle Bramhall II had one in his rig for a while (not sure if he still does??), and in my opinion his tone is simply amazing.  Tonequest did a review on it and they liked it alot too.  Just a suggestion as I haven't personally used one but I have heard good things about them.
Mike